Saba Island - The Caribbean
Saba Island is a lush green semi-undiscovered island there in the Caribbean Islands. This island is the smallest in the Netherlands Antilles, with an area of five square miles. Saba is commonly referred to as "The Rock" for its mountainous interior and it is considered the sister island to nearby St. Maarten.The major settlements here are “Hell’s Gate,” “Windwardside,” and the island’s capital called “The Bottom.” With a population of only 1500, makes it a great place to get away from it all. Saba is known for it's Scuba diving, snorkeling and hiking. Because this is a mountainous island, there are few beaches here. Saba is reached by airstrip from nearby St. Maarten. Since this island is a relativity new tourist destination, there are few hotels and resorts on the island.
Visitors here can expect to find a few activities to choose from including:
- Scuba diving and snorkeling - Saba is one of the best dive locations in the Caribbean. Divers can expect to see various species of fish, corals, sponges, and sea turtles.
- Hikers visiting the island can enjoy a hike to top of Mt Scenery, though the rain forest.
- Bird Watching enthusiast can visit the bird sanctuary on nearby Green Island to observe local species.
- There are a variety of cuisines available here including Chinese, American, Italian and of course various local dishes.
- Night life here is somewhat limited; it consist of local pubs serving beer and BBQ. Some cafes offer live music on weekend and sometimes there is an open party too.
Saba Island is a laid-back Caribbean destination that is great for relaxation and visiting Eco-tourist. For now the number of visitors is relativity low, but Saba's popularity is expected to increase, in years to come. If communing with nature sounds intriguing, consider visiting Saba Island.
Last updated on September 28, 2012
You can help the HubPages community highlight top quality content by ranking this article up or down.